Hello Everyone – here is a little reality check on the drugs policy of the SeOne Policy (any club policy really) Please have a careful read before you come to a Synergy Event:
SeOne’s policy toward illegal drugs
The Misuse of drugs act 1971 lists a number of drugs the production, possession or supply of which are illegal. Those who traffic these drugs, or have them illegally in their possession, can cause serious problems for licensees. Heavy penalties can be imposed on licences/licensees who permit certain drug-related offences to take place on their premises. Furthermore, permitting such activities can lead to the loss of the entertainment licence and any liquor licence held.
It is a criminal offence for a person to have:
- Controlled drugs in his/her possession
- A controlled drug in his/her possession, lawfully or not, with intent to supply it to another
It is a criminal offence for the occupier or management of any premises to knowingly permit any of the following activities to take place in those premises:
- The supply of, or attempt to supply, a controlled drug to one another.
- The preparation of opium for smoking
- Smoking cannabis, cannabis resin or prepared opium.
The seriousness of these offences is reflected in the penalties, which are as follows:
- For a person to have a controlled drug in his/her possession, up to seven years imprisonment.
- For having a controlled drug in his/her possession, lawfully or not, with intent to supply it to another, up to life imprisonment.
The public Entertainments Licences (Drug Misuse) Act 1997, in particular give the police and councils the power, in effect, to shut premises which have become centres for drug dealing or use.
The licence or venue manager can be fined £20,000 and/or given six months imprisonment.
The council can revoke the Public Music or Music and Dancing Licence of a particular venue or attach additional conditions to that licence if it receives a report from the police that the there is a serious drug problem there.
ANYONE CAUGHT IN POSSESSION OF OR USING DRUGS WILL BE DETAINED BY SECURITY AND HANDED OVER TO THE POLICE